One of the most frequent questions people seem to have is if they know they will go to heaven. Some people think good works that outweigh bad works will get them favor. Some feel religious rites such as baptism or communion might accomplish this.
When I minister in nursing homes I like to ask them “how many of you are or have been married?” There is no hesitation or ambiguity. They remember the day and the year. But when you ask people about their eternal salvation they seem to think it’s a process rather than a decision. You decided you loved your spouse enough to enter into a marriage covenant. Similarly when you discover Jesus wants to be your Savior and is simply waiting for your acceptance. The following scripture is such a great scripture to ask yourself and use as an assurance of salvation.
1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- Eternal life is in Jesus not your good works or religious actions.
- You can know you have eternal life when you believe on Jesus’ name as your savior
- At some time in your life simply say to God “I believe Jesus is God’s Son. I believe He died for me on the cross. I believe He was raised from the dead. I accept Jesus as my Savior.
- Based on 1 Jn 5:13 I believe I received eternal life when I received Jesus as my Savior.
- Regardless of how I feel, I go back to this scripture as my assurance.
This is as sure as your marriage covenant- even more so because He will never leave or forsake you! Just as marriage is a continually growing relationship- so is your relationship with God through Jesus. But it is important that you have the assurance that when you accept Jesus as your savior, it is done! Don’t entertain doubts or feelings about it. Just look at your Scripture document and memorize 1 Jn 5:13 if you are prone to have doubts about your salvation.