Rejoicing is a command. The purpose of rejoicing is to remind us how blessed we are. The result of rejoicing is that we cheer up. Many times we wait to rejoice in response to winning the lottery or obtaining our new job. But this Scripture doesn’t limit rejoicing to birthday celebrations. It says rejoice always.
I like the Good News Bible version of Philippians 4:4
“May you always be joyful in your union with the Lord. I say it again: rejoice!”
Here is the key to how we can always rejoice. We are in union with the Lord. When you accept Jesus as your Savior you are born again into God’s family. This union doesn’t change with the weather or the economy. This union with Jesus is the foundation and the unchanging reason to rejoice.
That union means you have access to all that Jesus has.
- You have eternal life.
- You have love and joy and peace.
- You have the name of Jesus.
- You can pray and access God’s throne.
- You are loved and belong.
- You are a valuable member of the Church
- You have purpose on the earth
- You have a heavenly Father and loving Savior
- You have the Holy Spirit living inside and He will never leave you
- In this life you have all you need to overcome!
So today, be joyful in your union with the Lord. He rejoices over you and loves you. He cares about you. Everything is subject to change with the exception that God loves you!
For further reading: