Like it or not we all influence people. Sometimes we positively influence people and other times we deflate people. Today let’s look at some ways to influence people positively.
John Maxwell states “difficulties seldom defeat people, lack of faith in themselves usually does it”. This statement indicates that all people deal with some self-esteem issues. Life has a way of taking energy from us and people can add to the mix.
- Look people in the eye and call them by name when possible
- Listen to their words but also their attitude and respond to it when appropriate
- Instead of merely seeing people as a means to your agenda, listen with compassion
- Put yourself in their shoes (especially with service industry personnel whose feet literally are tired)
- Look for ways to encourage- not just address problems or items
- Treat people with respect by speaking to them kindly- even when you’re very busy
- When appropriate take their hand and ask if there’s anything in their life for which you can pray
- Simply thank people for their service
- Text friends, colleagues and family members with words of appreciation
- Use social media with tact and wisdom- nobody needs to hear the details of your rotten day!
“Be kind and affectionate toward one another. Has God graciously forgiven you? Then graciously forgive one another in the depths of Christ’s love” Ephesians 4:32 The Passion Translation
For more reading: